This is part 2 of a 2 part interview. Continuing our conversation with Gordon Firemark. Entertainment lawyer, Podcast law expert, and one of the best voices in the industry. Gordon has been a podcaster for more than a decade and is known as The Podcast Lawyer.
We ask him 3 big podcast legal questions:
- Q1- Do you need a guest release?
- Q2- Podcasts about personal life, personal stories about traumatic events- do they have to worry about libel when sharing personal story? Ex: Amber Heard & Johnny Depp…
- Q3- Can I read books on my podcast?
And Gordon gives us his most important bits of legal advice:
- Be professional-
1) set it up like a biz…agreements, LLC
2) have agreements/contracts with whoever you are working with or laws will assume you are joint owners
3) Trademark your title- be distinctive in your title, descriptiveness in title won’t allow for trademark
4) Monetizing- clearly document relationships with customers and partners. Vague & ambiguous leads to disagreements/lawsuits- always use precise & clear language
Check out Gordon’s Links:
podcastrelease.com (free podcast guest release form)
podcastlawbook.com (my ebook)
Podcastlawforms.com (legal templates for podcasters)
easylegalforpodcasters.com (how and why to course on getting legal structures in place for maximum success)
Other Episodes You Will enjoy:
What is the Biggest Legal Mistake Podcasters Make? Part1 of Gordon Firemark
Podcasts are a Lifestyle Brand with Caila Litman
Podcasts are a Lifestyle Brand (part 2) with Caila Litman
Join our FREE Facebook community: Mastering the Podcaster Mindset Support Group
Get the Guide “The Biggest Mistake Podcaster Make and How to Avoid It”:
DM us on IG: @podcastermindset
Produced & Edited by: KaSa Media Productions, LLC